Sunday 1 November 2020

Week beginning November 1st

 Tell me the story of Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qu5ZA4jTnk


As Children we had stories read to us, either by a grown up, or at school, and if like me you may have watched the childrens television programe called “Jackanory” where a well known tv presonality read a book over the week.

My late father had many stories he used to tell when he was preaching. These children stories all had a moral teaching behind them. Do you remember Max Bygraves? He would start his show by saying “ No listen, I want to tell you a story”.

Well Jesus used stories, or another word Parable, which can be interpreted to reveal a hidden meaning. The story of the prodigal son is one such. This story is an offer of hope for the tax collectors and sinners who were all gathering around to hear Jesus.

To understand why Jesus was trying to open the eyes of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law read Matthew 23: these are the opening verses taken from the The message Bible from verse one  “Now Jesus turned to address his disciples, along with the crowd that had gathered with them. “The religion scholars and Pharisees are competent teachers in God’s Law. You won’t go wrong in following their teachings on Moses. But be careful about following them. They talk a good line, but they don’t live it. They don’t take it into their hearts and live it out in their behavior. It’s all spit-and-polish veneer.”


listen to the tune as you sing the words below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUW7Ekuqq9I

Our Father, we have wandered

1Our Father, we have wandered
And hidden from your face;
In foolishness have squandered
Your legacy of grace.
But now, in exile dwelling,
We rise with fear and shame,
As distant but compelling,
We hear you call our name.

2. And now at length discerning
The evil that we do,
Behold us, Lord, returning
With hope and trust to you.
In haste you come to meet us
And home rejoicing bring,
In gladness there to greet us
With calf and robe and ring.

3. O Lord of all the living,
Both banished and restored,
Compassionate, forgiving
And ever caring Lord,
Grant now that our transgressing,
Our faithlessness may cease.
Stretch out your hand in blessing,
In pardon and in peace.


Prayer of confession and a plea for forgiveness

Father, we have wandered and hidden from your face. We have been full of our own inportance, so foolish as to think that we can do things without your help.

God of compassion, Father have mercy; Your forgiveness is total, no notebook, voice recorder or post-it note to remind you of that moment when.…….. You take our confession, offered with hands outstretched and gently, like the loving heavenly Father that you are, put it to one side to be forgotten. No grudges, no itching for judgement.
No resentment or ill-will. Not like us, who find it easy to say sorry but so hard to forgive absolutely. Forgive us, Father, that we are often more willing to accept forgiveness, than to forgive. More willing to accept your love, than to share it with those who have hurt us.
Teach us to forgive, as you forgive.


A heart that forgives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ1TT601yHI



Luke 15:11-32 New International Version

The Parable of the Lost Sheep

1 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. 2 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”

3 Then Jesus told them this parable: 4 “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it?  5 And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders  6 and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbours together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ 7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

The Parable of the Lost Coin

8 “Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins  and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? 9 And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbours together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’ 10 In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”


Father I have sinned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wttuxd4F7WE&sns=tw

The Parable of the Lost Son

11 Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.

13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 

14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.

But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”


This parable opens reminding the listeners of scripture "A Father had two sons" this would immediately bring to mind  Cain & Abel Ishmael & Isaac and Esau & Jacob .

Jesus then confounds the listeners' expectations when the younger son is shown to be foolish.

Wanting to go his own way and make something of him self but he is taken in by the delights of the new places,

His wealth brings him friends. But not real friends for the money runs out.

Again here is an echo to the scriptures Proverbs 29:3: "Whoever loves wisdom gives joy to his father, but whoever consorts with harlots squanders his wealth."


The next part of the story is really shocking to the   Pharisees and the teachers.

The young man's actions do not lead to success; and he eventually becomes an indentured servant, with the degrading job of looking after pigs, a unclean aniamal, with a famine in the erea he even envies the swine for the Carob pods that they were eating. Time brings him to his senses. The son works out what he is going to say to his dad as he travels home.

When at school I had made an error and was led to say something that was not right. I thought about this over the dinner hour and decided that I should go to the teacher and tell the truth and to say I was sorry. Knowing this story I plucked up courage and met the teacher on the corridor and told him. He then said “You should he known better, your sorry is not good enough” and told me to go away. I was left confused and wiser. Never let a bad experience stop you from saying sorry. In the same way, remember it takes a lot for someone to come up to you to say they are sorry; remember the prodigal son and be willing to forgive as you want to be forgiven.


There is a song that you may have heard or even sung, it is an Irish folk song called The Wild Rover

You may even think it not a suitable song to sing, but do not dismiss it, please listen and read the words as you watch yes even sing along if you wish to.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_4KboYi40I


Jesus records The reactions of the Shepherd, with lost sheep. The women with the lost coin, and the father with the lost son. These words of of Jesus are just as important to day as when he spoke them.

there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.”


there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”


Amazing grace 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDdvReNKKuk


Prayer

Dear Merciful Lord,

Thank you for your gift of forgiveness. Your only Son loved me enough to come to earth and experience the worst pain imaginable so I could be forgiven. Your mercy flows to me in spite of my faults and failures. Your Word says to “clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.” (Col. 3:14) Help me demonstrate unconditional love today, even to those who hurt me.  Amen


Beloved one your sins are forgiven

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XXyljySwMs 


Trust in Gods amazing forgiveness and grace.

May He bless you and keep you safe this His day. Susannah x



If you have read blog this for the first time or seeking to to know the Lord Jesus in your heart


Dr. Ray Pritchard wrote this prayer for you.

Lord Jesus, for too long I’ve kept you out of my life. I know that I am a sinner and that I cannot save myself. No longer will I close the door when I hear you knocking. By faith, I gratefully receive your gift of salvation. I am ready to trust you as my Lord and Savior. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for coming to earth. I believe you are the Son of God who died on the cross for my sins and rose from the dead on the third day. Thank you for bearing my sins and giving me the gift of eternal life. I believe your words are true. Come into my heart, Lord Jesus, and be my Saviour. Amen. -


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA7pdABvpnc

No comments: