Sunday 20 December 2020

Week beginning 20th December.

 

For the first 300 years Lent and Easter was the most important time to celebrate

Christmas was first recorded in an old list of Roman bishops, compiled in A. D. 354 these words appear for A.D. 336: "25 Dec.: natus Christus in Betleem Judeae."

December 25th, Christ born in Bethlehem, Judea.


This is a wonderful time for Christians, and for one young lady over two thousand ago a life changing event for her and the world. Her story is told in the gospel of Luke.

Christmas is a time when we can be all young at heart as we watch the faces of children light up when they see twinkling lights. Do you remember watching or taking part in a nativity play? When I was three I was dressed as a sheep in our Sunday school nativity, everyone was excited, the older children had important roles to play and being the very youngest, I was not given any lines to say. But when the shepherds arrived at the stable and the angel was watching, I told the teacher that I wanted something to say, so I was told to give two bleats with a home made fleece on my back and a sheep head mask on my head I crawled on all fours, looked into the crib and said “baa -baa”. The grown ups laughed. We sang a song at the end a bit like the one below. Every one gave us a clap. And the minister (my Dad) gave every child a present to take home to unwrap on Christmas morning. All the grown ups stayed in their places and the children took round plates of hot mince pies, the Sunday school teachers took round trays of tea. I was given the job of sugar bowl carrier and followed the cups. 59 years later the memory of that wonderful morning is still with me.

An Angel came from heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4B1I3QK7-4


Prayer

Father God, this Advent open our ears to your voice and our eyes to your beauty in a special way.  Guide us as we pray.  Make us aware of where we have failed you in the past and in the name of Jesus forgive us and give us assurance of your forgiveness.  Through the Holy Spirit show us the way ahead and in your power give us the grace to follow the path you set before us   Things seem dark and obscure at the moment, but may this Advent being a time of making your light clear to us and through us to the community around us.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.


The Holly & the Ivy (Instrumental Version) - Bing video




The Holly and the Ivy,

Are dancing in a ring, 

Round the berry-bright red candle 

and the white and shining King.


And Four for mother Mary,

I cannot see the way,

But you promised me a baby.

I believe you. I obey.’


Luke 1: 26 – 56

The Birth of Jesus Foretold

26 In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favoured! The Lord is with you.” 29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favour with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.” 34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?” 35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called  the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. 37 For no word from God will ever fail.” 38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.


The Angel Gabriel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHuokdjT4UY


39 At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, 40 where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favoured, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would  fulfill his promises to her!”

Marys Magnificat/prayer.

46 And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord 47     and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, 48 for he has been mindful   of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed, 49     for the Mighty One has done great things for me—   holy is his name. 50 His mercy extends to those who fear him,
    from generation to generation. 51 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;    he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. 52 He has brought down rulers from their thrones  but has lifted up the humble. 53 He has filled the hungry with good things    but has sent the rich away empty 54 He has helped his servant Israel,    remembering to be merciful 55 to Abraham and his descendants forever,   just as he promised our ancestors.” 56 Mary stayed with Elizabeth for about three months and then returned home.


Sing Mary sing

Kottayam Mixed Voices Christmas Recital 2017(Live)|| SING, MARY, SING - Bing video



How would you react if your teenage daughter came and said to you “Mum I am going to have a baby but do not worry God is the Father.?

I think would do a lot of praying, and soul searching, This part of the story in the Bible is silent.

The message is that God is at work the Holy Spirit is moving as it did in the beginning.

It is time to praise the living God as Mary did.

I was challenged years ago to write my own Magnificat.


I Give you praise O Mighty God for the health and Blessing of my children I give you thanks for my Family and loving husband. I praise you that you have strengthened me when troubles would have swamped me. For you are the only true and living God.

You fill me with great things. O Father God may my will be yours this day and for as long as I live Amen.

So this Christmas why not write your own Magnificat.


ARUNDEL CATHEDRAL-TELL OUT, MY SOUL - YouTube

let this play on to the next one.


May the message Of Christmas fill you with his Hope, joy, and peace.

Susannah.




No comments: