Sunday 11 April 2021

Low Sunday



Sing to the mountains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zacE5ZIkcSE


1 Chronicles 16

31 Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad;

let them say among the nations, “The Lord reigns!”

32 Let the sea resound, and all that is in it;

let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them!

33 Let the trees of the forest sing,

let them sing for joy before the Lord,

for he comes to judge the earth.

34 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;

his love endures forever.

35 Cry out, “Save us, God our Saviour;

gather us and deliver us from the nations,

that we may give thanks to your holy name,

and glory in your praise.”

36 Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel,

from everlasting to everlasting.

Then all the people said “Amen” and “Praise the Lord.


Alive, alive alive for ever more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSbvIAu1qJA


John 20: 24 – 30

Jesus Appears to Thomas

24 Now Thomas (also known as Didymus which means twin, one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 

25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”


26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 

27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”

28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe  that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.


My Lord and my God”

Sons and Daughters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff-L7HstdlI



I have often thought that Thomas may have misunderstood. How would you have felt? First Your best friend had the most horrid death, murdered by the authorities, then they started looking for the followers. Thomas thought his mates were trying to tease him by saying they had seen their Lord alive and well. He was in emotional turmoil. Then he spoke out, saying he would not be taken in by them; he did not believe them. Because of the threat from the Romans, the Followers had locked them selves in the room. Thomas knew if he left the room with his friends, would put himself and them in danger. When all of a sudden, Christ stood among them. No wonder the first word Christ says to them is “peace be with you.” In other words do not panic, its only me. Can you imagine knowing someone you had just buried a week ago, suddenly standing next to you? It would be disturbing.

Jesus talks with Thomas then shows his hands and side and asks him to feel the scars. By getting Thomas to touch him shows that Jesus was not a ghost or spirit but real flesh and bones and this is when Thomas announces “My Lord and my God!”

So today we can take Christ’s words to our hearts “blessed are those who have not seen me and yet have believed.” We believe because he lives within in our hearts. John Wesley stated at his conversion I felt my heart strangely warmed.

I was once asked what Jesus felt like? I turned to the person and ask her have you ever had a cuddle that made you feel special and warm she replayed “yes when my boy friend hugs and kisses me”

Well Jesus gives you a hug on the inside that makes you feel warm and safe. When you ask Christ into your life, ask him to heal your wounds, comfort your pain,

and warm your heart with his love and peace.


POEM

St Thomas. The Apostle

We do not know… how can we know the way?”

Courageous master of the awkward question,

You spoke the words the others dared not say

And cut through their evasion and abstraction.

Oh doubting Thomas, father of my faith,

You put your finger on the nub of things

We cannot love some disembodied wraith,

But flesh and blood must be our king of kings.

Your teaching is to touch, embrace, anoint,

Feel after Him and find Him in the flesh.

Because He loved your awkward counter-point

The Word has heard and granted you your wish.

Oh place my hands with yours, help me divine

The wounded God whose wounds are healing mine.

By Malcolm Guite


I serve a risen Saviour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEcfRlAsBB8


The Pauses in the Lords Prayer are so you can think about the words.


Let us Pray

Lord Jesus I have never seen you, I believe that you are the Holy one, the Son of the Living God. You asked us to call God Almighty Father. Through the power of the Holy Spirit I exalt you, I praise your name and lift my voice in worship. For you are my God, my Saviour, and Lord. Fill me with your hallowed presence that I know your love and peace. Unite me with my Christian friends as I say the Prayer that you taught your disciples.


Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name, 
thy kingdom come,  thy will be done, 
on earth as it is in heaven. 
Pause...
Give us this day our daily bread. 
And forgive us our trespasses, 

as we forgive those who trespass against us. 
Pause...
And lead us not into temptation,  but deliver us from evil. 
Pause...
For thine is the kingdom,  the power, and the glory, 
for ever and ever. Amen.


Fill me now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UKYbE3_Fug.


There is about 1000 years between David and Jesus, although Jesus is of Davids line.

And In this psalm the words to Thomas’s are echoed “You are my Lord;

let us echo the same words today Lord you are My God.


Psalm 16 written by King David

1 Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge.

2I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.”

3I say of the holy people who are in the land, “They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.”

4 Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more. I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods or take up their names on my lips.

5 Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure.

6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.

7I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.

8I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure,

10 because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful   one see decay.

11 You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence,

with eternal pleasures at your right hand.


You are My Lord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YFS0w_vPA


Blessing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtll3mNj5U

God Bless You Susannah

No comments: