Sunday 30 May 2021

Sunday after Pentecost.

 Apologies.  Due to an oversight, no service was uploaded last Sunday, Pentecost Sunday.  Here is a modified version of what was going to be posted.


Week after Pentecost




Before this virtual act of worship

please prepare a small piece of bread or biscuit, and a drink.

So you will be able to participate in the act of Holy Communion.


O for a thousand tongues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O9kw3cILpg


Let this psalm be your prayer

Psalm 51 :1-15

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.

Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.

Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight; so you are right in your verdict and justified when you judge.

Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice.

Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Then I will teach transgressors your ways, so that sinners will turn back to you. Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God, you who are God my Saviour, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise.


O happy day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4ZLcJjrTRY


LUKE 22: 7 – 19

7 Then came the day of Unleavened Bread on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed.  8 Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, “Go and make preparations for us to eat the Passover.” 9 “Where do you want us to prepare for it?” they asked.

10 He replied, “As you enter the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him to the house that he enters, 11 and say to the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher asks: Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’ 12 He will show you a large room upstairs, all furnished. Make preparations there.”

13 They left and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.

14 When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. 15 And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. 16 For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfilment in the kingdom of God.”

17 After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. 18 For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”

19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”



This is my body broken for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3xwGEFXcNw


While this is playing hold your bread or biscuit ask God to bless it, and then eat

Do the same with your drink.

Watch and listen to the end of the song


Prayer

Thank God for uniting me with others through the power of the Holy Spirit.

(pause for your own hearts petition to the Lord, for Jesus intercedes through the spirit

and hears your prayers) ……….. in you mercy hear my prayers ……….

Lord Where there is war and blood shed, may your Spirit bring Bring forth Peace.……..

Where nature is at it’s wildest, wild fires, storms, earth quakes, bringing death and destruction, May your Spirit bring stillness healing and calm………...

Lord where there is sorrow, weeping, Anger, hatred and Fear. May your Spirit bring forth Comfort, Hope, and love.


Lords Prayer contemporary Or as say it as you know it .

Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.

Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen


Spirit of the living God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2t3TfhoNE8


My hope and prayer is that you will make the above your personal prayer through out the coming weeks


N. T. Bible Reading

Acts 3: 1 – 16 Peter Heals a Lame Beggar

1 One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon. 2 Now a man who was lame from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. 3 When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. 4 Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!” 5 So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.

6 Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” 7 Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man’s feet and ankles became strong. 8 He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God. 9 When all the people saw him walking and praising God, 10 they recognized him as the same man who used to sit begging at the temple gate called Beautiful, and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.

Peter Speaks to the Onlookers 11 While the man held on to Peter and John, all the people were astonished and came running to them in the place called Solomon’s Colonnade. 12 When Peter saw this, he said to them: “Fellow Israelites, why does this surprise you? Why do you stare at us as if by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk? 13 The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified his servant Jesus. You handed him over to be killed, and you disowned him before Pilate,  though he had decided to let him go. 14 You disowned the Holy and Righteous One and asked that a murderer be released to you. 15 You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this. 16 By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has completely healed him, as you can all see.


Peter and John went to pray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IZn2n0vzF0


The Holy Spirit Moves in many ways have you ever experienced His Power in your life.?

To do so you have to open to his prompting, Some times it is not easy. A feeling that you should say something but then hesitate and the moment is gone, Peter and John had no money with them as they were on there way to the temple to pray when they were moved seeing a man, asking, begging. How would we react if this story happened to day to a beggar on the street. This story shows two ordinary fishermen, from a backwater of a place.

Showing their faith, not only in Jesus, but trusting to the prompting of God breath, God’s guidance compassion and love.

The other week I was in the heart of the city and an evangelist was asking passers by if they were saved and when. I found myself speaking out. “I was saved the same as time as all Christians brother, at the foot of the Cross when Christ asked God to forgive us. Before he drew His last earthly breath.” I called out. “you tell them brother. Tell them We are all sinners that is you and I and we all have fallen short of of the grace of God. You Tell them brother that God loves us just as we are. Tell them to Meet with Jesus brother”. I walked away and became aware that the preacher had fallen silent, and there were many folk who had stopped to listen. I thought to my self where did that come from. At that point I realised the holy spirit had opened my mouth. And I gave thanks to Jesus. As Peter said in Acts verse 16 when the cripple walked “ It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has completely healed him, as you can all see. By faith in the name of Jesus”

It is this faith that the holy spirit strengthens. . As Charles Wesley wrote in the opening hymn. Try reading the words through they are very powerful with the sound down or off.


The spirit is unseen but just like the wind we can feel its presence. Charles Wesley and his brother John founded the Methodist Church There are many gifts that come from the Holy spirit, and through the coming Sundays we will be looking at some of them.


Spirit of God unseen as the wind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCs8DQQ9RMM

Benediction

Now go in peace to love and serve the Lord,

In the name of Christ. Amen.

The spirit lives to set us free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvhKJu9Vn04



No comments: