Monday 6 March 2023

Week beginning 26th February

 Song: All hail the lamb

All hail the Lamb - YouTube


Prayer:

As I open my eyes this morning, God, I want You to be the first thing I see. Be the first thought in my mind. Be the first word I speak.

You say that Your mercies are new every morning. This morning, would You help me receive those mercies again? I still need them just as much as ever.

As I reach for the alarm clock to silence its malicious ringing, I surrender to You my frustration at being forced awake. I ask You to fill me instead with hope and excitement for what You want to accomplish in the world through me today.



I know You’re in control, God. But sometimes it takes a while for my heart to believe the things my brain knows about You. And right now, I’m having trouble believing You’re still in charge as my heart pounds with fear.

In this moment, in the middle of my fear, I ask You to make me strong and courageous. Even if my heart is still pounding. Even if I don’t feel brave at all.

Give me the courage to do what You’ve called me to do, even when every muscle in my body wants to sprint in the opposite direction. Help me to act courageous before I feel courageous.

Fill me with confidence that You have good things planned for me. Fill me with trust. Fill me so full that there’s no room left for fear.

Open my ears, God, to hear Your voice speaking to me from Scripture today. I don’t want to just settle for easy answers. I don’t want to just read the bible in a way that makes me feel good. I want to give You continual, constant permission to interrupt and rearrange my life.

Give me passion as I read to take seriously the truth of what I am reading. Help me resist the temptation to put Your words into my head without letting them change my heart and my actions. I confess that knowledge about You isn’t enough. I need life transformation. Please show me how the Scripture I’m reading is meant to transform the way I inhabit my world. Amen.

Taken from https://www.crosswalk.com/


Song: All I once held dear

All I Once Held Dear (Knowing You, Jesus) [with lyrics for congregations] - YouTube


Reading: 2nd letter to the Corinthians, chapter 4, verses 1 to 7


Song: Great is Thy faithfulness

Great is thy faithfulness - YouTube


Sometimes Paul’s writing can seem like a box of tangled electrical leads; difficult to unravel, and even impenetrable! At times, it can help to go further back in the writing to find out where he has come from.

We believe that all scripture is given to inspire and encourage the believer. The early church included these writings in the canon of scripture to tell people who Jesus was. At the time of writing, the gospels did not exist. They came later, perhaps they were felt to be needed because people’s memories were fading.

Even Peter recorded that Paul’s letters can be hard to understand, but they are undoubtedly full of wisdom.

Paul compares the old covenant with what happens with Jesus. Moses’ glory eventually faded, but Jesus’ glory does not fade. We are transformed a bit at a time to become more like Jesus.

In so doing we are being equipped for a ministry. Whilst it is not always clear what our ministry is, we are to God’s will where we are placed. Others may not know what we have done, it may not be glamorous, we may not know ourselves what we have done, but God knows.

We are charged to encourage each other, tom pray for each other. Never underestimate the power of prayer.

Don’t lose heart; we have been through a difficult period in the last few years. There has been a pandemic, changes and instability in government, and a new king. We have been advised that there will be even more troubles as Jesus’ return draws near. We do not know when this will happen, but it must be getting closer.

We must set forth the truths of the faith plainly. We cannot persuade by distorting the truth, or deceiving people.

If truths are set forth plainly we can overcome invisible barriers to people. Things such as class, culture and tradition can make it difficult for people to join in church.

Such things act to put a veil over the gospel says Paul. People sometimes say that they cannot see God. They struggle to see through the veil to get to the light.

We don’t pretend to be perfect, we don’t pretend to be saviours. We proclaim Jesus who is both of these things.

We may feel we are struggling, we may find it difficult, but we don’t lose heart because we have the light of Jesus. Shine that light.


Song: In Christ alone

In Christ Alone my hope is found song Lyrics - YouTube

No comments: