Wednesday 13 September 2023

Week beginning 10th September

 

Prayer:

Lord God there is so much to be thankful for; the food we eat, water to drink,

the love that you have for your creation is beyond words. So Great are your works.

Let the light of your son fill this world with your love Amen.


Song:

Lord the light of you life is shining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rce9UHYZwl4


Reading:

Psalm 27


Song:

How lovely on the mountains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n82_H4yabC4


Lord God, we pray that you will be with all who are suffering from the devastation of war and conflict. Be with those who are working to being aid, those who are working to bring peace. May aid reach where it is needed. We pray that Governments and world leaders of work together for the good of all people to bring peace and reconciliation.

We pray for those suffering from natural disasters of famine, flood and earthquakes.

We think of those who on Saturday 9th September had a 6.0 magnitude earthquake near Palu, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia also a 6.8 magnitude earthquake near Marrakesh, Marrakech-Tensift-Al Haouz, Morocco and a 5.0 magnitude earthquake near Burney, California, United States

Be with family who are mourning the loss of loved ones and be with all who are involved in rescuing the injured. May aid reach the needy. We pray for all medical staff and emergency services here in our country and through out the world. We pray for our Christian Brothers and sisters that your holy spirit may be at work in them and through them and be with us, and those we know, each day and through the coming weeks. Amen.


Song:

Take Time to be holy

(musical interlude before last verse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WblkcQYxdp8


We are not sure when David wrote the psalm we read above. It may have been when he was having problems with his 3rd son Absalom. We read in 2 Samuel 15 v1 – 23 what King David’s reaction to his son was

You may wish to read on further


psalm 27. Can be spit into three sections verses 1 – 3 Confidence in God.

4 – 7 Communion with God

7 – 13 Prayer

and the last verse the conclusion


Psalm 27: 1- 3

The Lord is my light and my salvation—   whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—  of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When the wicked advance against me  to devour  me, it is my enemies and my foes  who will stumble and fall.3 Though an army besiege me,  my heart will not fear; though war break out against me,    even then I will be confident.



1 – 3 Confidence in God.

David is acknowledging The Lord as light (Jesus, a descendant of king David, said I am the light of the world, Davids salvation deliverance from Sin whom shall I be afraid it? Seems he was fearful of Absalom
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—  of whom shall I be afraid?

 When the wicked advance against me   to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes
    who will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me,  my heart will not fear; though war break out against me,   even then I will be confident.


Psalm 27: 4 – 7
One thing I ask from the Lord,  this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord  and to seek him in his temple.
5 For in the day of trouble   he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent  and set me high upon a rock.6 Then my head will be exalted  above the enemies who surround me; at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy;    I will sing and make music to the Lord.7 Hear my voice when I call, Lord;  be merciful to me and answer me.


4 – 7 Communion with God

Communion to talk with. David was not afraid to talk to God

In verse 4 “I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life”

we here another psalm being echoed the must well known psalm of all 23rd The Lords my Shephard in verse  I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

In days of trouble, we all have days of trouble. So did David with son.

David has gone from his kingdom and is asking the Lord to hide him in His shelter

David is surrounded by his enemies. And is asking God to raise him above them.

David will praise and exalt the name of God he is asking God to hear him. Hear my voice when I call, Lord;


Psalm 27: 7- 13
7   be merciful to me and answer me.
8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!”  Your face, Lord, I will seek.
9 Do not hide your face from me,  do not turn your servant away in anger;  you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me,   God my Saviour.
10 Though my father and mother forsake me,   the Lord will receive me.
11 Teach me your way, Lord;  lead me in a straight path  because of my oppressors.
12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,  for false witnesses rise up against me,  spouting malicious accusations.

13 I remain confident of this:  I will see the goodness of the Lord    in the land of the living.


7 – 13 Prayer In verse seven David asking God to be merciful.

David Feels close to the Lord Look to the Lord and His strength; seek His face always.” (1 Chronicles 16:11). David is asking God to show forgiveness

We must never takes God’s mercy for granted in our lives. He will answer when we call, so long as we are willing to be taught. We are all learners of Jesus in psalm 23 the Lord will lead if we follow and ready. Even if our family lets us down God will ever be there guiding in His way. David is praying that he may know God’s way in his heart that he will be guided in Gods goodness and mercy.

There is Man’s natural way and there is God’s way:

With man there is trouble and strife and war with God there is peace.

With man there is revenge and hurt with God there is reconciliation.

With man there is hate with God there is love.

With Man there is Pride with God there is humility

With man there is greed “It’s mine mentality” With God there is Give.

John 3: 16 – 17 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 

With man there is the broad way. With God there is the narrow way that leads to eternal life.

14 - conclusion

Wait for the Lord;  be strong and take heart   and wait for the Lord.

David receives his answer. And the answer for us is for us too , that we to will wait for the Lord, be strong and take heart.


Song:

When I survey the wondrous cross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_fvFfPqjO4


Prayer:

Lord when we have felt we do not know what to do, or where we should go if others want us to turn from you, may we like Simon Peter say Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.  We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.” Lord Jesus give us patience and to wait patiently in your loving peace.

When we feel unloved Lord God fill us with your love.

When we feel forgiven and bitter Lord Jesus fill us with Your grace

When we feel rejected and hurt Holy Spirit fill us with your comfort peace now and always Amen



Song:

Listen & watch

Wait on the Lord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9vLMTh5rSA


No comments: