Sunday 14 November 2021

Week beginning 14th November

 

Remembrance Service 2021

Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength,   an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall;
    God will help her at break of day.
6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;   he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

7 The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.

8 Come and see what the Lord has done,  the desolations he has brought on the earth.
9 He makes wars cease   to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;  he burns the shields  with fire.
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”

11 The Lord Almighty is with us;  the God of Jacob is our fortress.


HYMN God is our Strength and Refuge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYSw0CxTJ2Q


Prayers

God of justice and peace, we pray for those who have been injured or disabled through war. For those who have lost homes and security through conflict; for those who have lost loved relatives in wars; for those who face danger and take risks for peace; for all those, especially children, caught up in current conflicts; for refugees and all those in need of aid and other help. God of encouragement comfort those who remember past sacrifices and guide us in building a just and peaceful community for all.

Ever-living God, we remember those whom you have gathered from the storm of war into the peace of your presence; may that same peace calm our fears, bring justice to all people and establish harmony among all nations. I pray for peacemakers and peacekeepers, who seek to help keep this world secure and free. Therefore Father God give us peace. Amen.


O God, our help in ages past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6PiYy7rCOs



A story about an Old first world war veteran;

He was very old now, but could still hold himself stiffly at attention before the monument.  His war, the one to end all wars, now just a fading part of history. Very few could remember, first-hand, the savageness of the ordeal that had sent millions of young men to their deaths. Cannon fodder, they'd called them, sent before the guns to be mown down blown apart by chunks of metal which had decimated their frail bodies.  The cream of a generation; almost wiped out.  He was haunted by the faces of the boys he'd had to order into battle, the ones who'd never come back.  Yet one nameless ghost was able to bring a measure of comfort to his tormented mind.  At the sound of the gun signalling the eleventh hour he was mentally transported back to the fields of Flanders. 

The battle had raged for over two hours, with neither side gaining any advantage.  Wave after wave of soldiers had been dispatched from the muddy trenches and sent over the top.  So many had died already that day that he decided he could not afford to lose any more men before reinforcements arrived.  Perhaps they'd give the remnants a few more days of life.  There came a slight lull in the battle due to the sheer exhaustion of the men on both sides.

During this interval, a young soldier came up to him requesting that he be allowed to go over the top.  He looked at the boy who couldn't have been more than nineteen.  Was this extreme bravery in the face of the enemy or was the soldier so scared he just needed to get it over with? 

"Why would you want to throw your life away soldier?  It's almost certain death to go out there." 

"My best friend went out over an hour ago, captain, and he hasn't come back.  I know my friend must be hurt and calling for me.  I must go to him, sir, I must." There were tears in the boy's eyes .  It was as if this were the most important thing in the world to him." 

"Soldier, I'm sorry, but your friend is probably dead.  What purpose would it serve to let you sacrifice your life too?" 

"At least I'd know I'd tried, sir, he'd do the same thing in my shoes.  I know he would." 

He was about to order the boy back to the ranks, but the impact of his words softened his heart.  He remembered the awful pain he'd felt himself when his brother had died.  He'd never had the chance to say goodbye. 

"All right soldier, you can go." Despite the horror all around them, he saw a radiant smile on the boy's face, as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders. 

"God bless you, sir," said the soldier. 

It was a long time before the guns fell silent for the last time and each side was allowed to gather their dead and wounded.  The captain remembered the young soldier.  He looked through the many piles of bodies.  Young men.  So many as to give an unreal quality to the scene before him. 

When he came to the makeshift hospital, he looked carefully through the casualties.  He soon found himself before the prone body of the soldier, alive, but severely wounded.  He knelt down beside the young man and gently laid a hand on his shoulder. 

"I'm so sorry, son.  I knew I was wrong to let you go." 

"Oh no, sir.  I'm glad you did and I'm glad you're here now so I can thank you.  You see sir, I found my friend.  He was badly wounded, but I was able to comfort him at the end.  As I held him dying in my arms, he looked me in the eyes and said: "I knew you'd come." 

The young soldier faded between consciousness and oblivion for some time before he finally slipped away.  The captain stayed by his side until the end, tears streaming quietly down his cheeks.  Only in war could the happy endings be so terribly sad.

As the bugle sounded "Taps", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChTqYlDjtI

The old captain envisioned once again the young soldier's face. Looking up, he could almost hear the stone monument calling out to him: "I knew you'd come.


I knew you’d come my friend, look the sky is blue. The lark is soaring high.”

Friend you knew I’d come. Ever sleep, for God is nigh.


As a Girl Guide back in the 1970’s, were always closed each meeting with singing the taps, these are the words.

Days gone, gone sun, from the sea, from the hills, from the sky, all is well, safely rest, God is nigh.”

This bonded us together ready for the next weeks activities

For some fighting on the front line of battle, taps meant life on earth it self had gone.

But the kingdom of God is love and eternal peace.

Psalm 46, God is our refuge and strength, brought inner strength and peace to the worn out troops.
  “an ever-present help in trouble.



In Flanders fields


In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

    That mark our place; and in the sky

    The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.


We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,

        In Flanders fields.


Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

    The torch; be yours to hold it high.

    If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

    In Flanders fields.

By  John McCrea

My Grandmother said that living in London during the first world war they could hear the distant sound of Gunfire from France. She and her Aunts would go to Church on Sundays

She always said a special prayers for her Husband, they had married in 1913. In 1916 she had received a letter saying her husband was missing in action, presumed dead.

When My Grandfather came home from a prison of war camp in 1918 Gran stood and screamed, she thought that he was a ghost as he had lost a lot of weight.

He had a lot of problems to prove that he was alive.

He spent the rest of his life helping others and working to bring peace into people’s lives.

He loved to hear me sing this song, I hope it touches you as it does me. Please listen.


Last night I had the strangest dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea9U3E58HC8


Last night I had the strangest dream
I ever dreamed before
I dreamed the world had all agreed
To put an end to war



Wars have gone on from the very beginning of time ever since humans pick up a stones and clubs. But that does not mean it has always to be this way.

People have been praying for the end of bloodshed and violence.

Having a weapon can make you feel invincible and strong that one gun can out shoot another. A knife can stab deeper than another..

Jesus came not with a mighty army. But he won the biggest battle for us he fought evil with love. And overcame it, he conquered death.

Have you ever heard that the pen is mightier than the sword? two kind words can disarm any one.

If you want world peace lay down your gun, your knife, this is true bravery.

It takes courage so I ask you if you carry a gun or knife it it at home hand it in.

to save a life today, to allow some one to grow old. To know real peace in your heart. For it is penned God gave his only son that whoever believes in Him will never be cast from God but will live with Him for ever in heaven.

This Remembrance Sunday light a candle and think of those who lay down their lives that we may have peace do not let their sacrifice be in vain.







Remembrance The Royal British Legion 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99tCg596QSc


They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,

Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning

We will remember them.”


Light a candle for peace

http://zionelginil.org/lighting-a-candle-for-peace/


Prayer

Lord make Me an instrument of Your peace
Where there is hatred let me sow seeds of love.
Where there is injury, let me have grace to pardon.
Where there is doubt, strengthen my faith. So I may be able to others to have faith you in. Where there is despair, give me wisdom that I bring hope.
Where there is darkness, may your light that shine in me lighten the dark places with your love Where there is sadness help to bring me the knowledge of your joy.
O Divine master grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console
It is better not to
To be understood, as to understand others.
It is better not to be loved. as to love others in the same way as you love me.
For it's in giving of time and understanding. that we receive theses gifts from others
And it's in pardoning others that we are pardoned by your grace and mercy.
And it's in dying that we are born to eternal life. With you in heaven.

So Lord make me a channel of your peace this day and always . Amen


Jesus said in John Gospel 14:27

27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.


My peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls01XGV7oA0


May the God of love bless you . The peace of Christ fill you

May the power of the holy Spirit encompass you. Now and always. Amen


No comments: